Location: Essex Record Office, Chelmsford
Contract: Fixed Term contract - 9 months
Hours: Full time, 37 hours per week
Salary: £22,700 - £25,000 per annum
Interviews are likely to take place on 13th or 14th March 2018.
This is a 9-month fixed term post within a small team of archivists at the Essex Record Office. You will be concentrating on processing new and existing deposits of historical records and adding data to Essex Archives Online, although there may be opportunities for other work within the archivist role.
This is a full-time post, but applications for part-time work will be considered on their merits. Please note that the pay structure is under review.
To take part in the archivists team rota as duty archivist and accessioning archivist, arranging and documenting existing and new collections, answering enquiries from the public and local government officers, mounting exhibitions, undertaking site visits and surveys and supervising volunteers, giving talks and presentations to diverse audiences and the media and liaising with ECC partners and stakeholder organisations; by working as part of a wider team within ERO including the conservation staff, Events and Engagement Manager, Learning from History Manager, Marketing Manager, public venue staff and search room and repository staff.
Job Purpose Summary:
To provide professional archival services for Essex County Council clients at Essex Record Office and around the county and to contribute to the ERO and archivists team's income generating activities.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
* Understand the needs of your customers and deliver the best possible outcomes through exemplar behaviour in accordance with ECC's Values and Core Organisational Behaviours.
* Work flexibly and collaboratively across structural boundaries in support of key outcomes.
* To contribute to development of organisational capability by taking ownership of your own training and development, including identifying and taking part in training and development activity and responding to feedback on performance.
* Thinking creatively, challenging the norms, and constructively challenging those around them (including those more senior) to ensure continuous improvement and commercial astuteness, and inspire the same in colleagues..
* Work as part of project or process teams as required under the new operating model, ensuring excellent cross functional output.
* To provide assistance to the public, in the search room or in response to postal and telephone enquiries
* To undertake accessioning procedures, including negotiating the deposit of records with their owners
* To catalogue and index collections of archives as required, including the cataloguing of large and/or complex collections of archives
* To undertake the preparation of exhibitions or publications as required
* To lecture, when called upon, on archival subjects on behalf of the Essex Record Office
* To undertake surveys of archives outside the custody of the Essex Record Office
* To supervise, within policies defined by senior staff and when so required, programmes of work in any one of the following areas; or such areas as may from time to time be defined: accessioning, cataloguing, surveys of parish records, surveys of other records, control of pictorial collections
* To assist with training of trainee archivists as required
* To participate in the performance and development review process, to take personal responsibility for the identification of learning and development opportunities and reflect on training needs for discussion with the line manager
* To comply with individual responsibilities, in accordance with work role, for health and safety in the workplace
* To ensure that all duties and services provided are in accordance with Essex County Council Equal Opportunities Policy and Practice
* The duties of this post may be changed and/or varied to meet changing circumstances at the discretion of the Archive Service Manager
* The role will require dexterity and mobility unless accompanied by a DWP helper. Driving licence essential
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
Working for Essex welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Working for Essex is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us.
FTC History Sound Video Chelmsford Archiving
£22,000 - £24,000 per annum
The Maine Group
£30,000 - £35,000 per annum
Red Gem Recruitment
£30,000 - £35,000 per annum
Red Gem Recruitment
£18,000 - £20,000 per annum, inc benefits
Meridian Business Support