Our Distributed Systems teams design, build, and operate the large-scale critical services that all of Yelp’s feature teams rely on. We scale complex systems while maintaining high reliability, get a thrill out of making our infrastructure elastic, and will happily explain why the CAP theorem is important. As a manager in Distributed Systems, you’ll enjoy leading and inspiring a team of skilled engineers to develop the next generation of our infrastructure.
What You Will Do:
- Help the team stay happy and productive by removing obstacles and optimizing team processes.
- Enjoy providing frequent constructive feedback while coaching and mentoring engineers.
- Work with the team to develop and own a product vision that you’ll communicate to the company.
- Participate in the hiring process, from scouting potential candidates to interviewing and helping close new hires.
- Monitor availability and performance of distributed systems like NoSQL Datastores.
- Scale infrastructure to meet demand while keeping an eye on cost-efficiency.
- Be willing to roll up your sleeves and debug/tune/code/fix alongside your team.
- Drive (and teach) technical incident response.
We Are Looking For:
- Previous experience as a technical lead or manager, with the empathy and communication skills to match.
- Experience with building, configuration, scaling, and monitoring distributed systems like datastores (e.g., Cassandra), messaging systems (e.g., Kafka), or resource management systems (e.g., Mesos).
- You understand how to achieve high availability, fault tolerance, performance, and disaster recovery.
- Experience using cloud computing services (AWS, Microsoft Azure, etc.)
- Mastery of Linux or Unix.
- Command of your favourite modern programming language: Python, Ruby, Java, C++, etc.
- Experience with configuration management: Puppet/Chef/Ansible/Salt.