What We Do
Overleaf is a startup and social enterprise that builds modern collaborative authoring tools for scientists — like Google Docs for Science. Our primary product is an online, real time collaborative editor for papers, theses, technical reports and other documents written in the LaTeX markup language.
In our five years since launch, Overleaf has seen rapid adoption across science and research, and now supports a community of over two million authors worldwide who’ve created over 17 million documents using our services. This community includes major institutions such as Stanford and Caltech, with Overleaf becoming an integral part not only of research collaborations but also of undergraduate teaching.
How We Work
Overleaf is remote-first, all founders and staff work remotely. We also have an office by King's Cross station for those in the London area, and we get the whole team together in London several times a year for face-to-face time.
This position would require at least two days working from the London office during the working week.
We encourage flexible working. Our core office hours are 9.30-5.30pm
About This Role
We’re looking for an enthusiastic, detail-oriented individual to take on a range of tasks involving Overleaf finance, sales support, and company admin. Your main duties would include:
- Sales ledger and credit control - sales invoice generating and processing, run reports, statements.
- Purchase ledger - processing purchase invoices
- Bank reconciliations
- Updating prepayment, accruals and deferred income spreadsheets
- Entering payments and receipts in accounting system and into spreadsheet cash books.
- Being diligent and proactive in helping the company to keep accurate and up to date records across a range of company admin duties.
- Assisting in the preparation of management reports and financial metrics/analytics.
- Helping to prepare quarterly VAT returns, VAT Moss
- Patiently and efficiently dealing with customer/supplier queries, to support and enhance customer and supplier relationships
- Collaborating as needed with the Overleaf team and with our business partners to help ensure sales and purchasing are smooth and efficient processes.
- As Overleaf is a fast-growing company, there will also be opportunities for the person hired for this position to grow and develop, and to take on additional responsibility.
We require that you:
- have a minimum of 2-3 years of relevant experience (we aren't taking on new graduates at the moment).
- will work for us full time.
- will be available to work from our London office at least two days per working week.
In addition, varied knowledge and skills are required in the following areas:
- Accuracy-minded with a keen eye for detail
- Good all-round bookkeeping, accounts and reconciliations experience.
- Good IT skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office and Intermediate/advanced skills in Excel
- Previous experience with Netsuite and/or Recurly is preferable but not essential
- Excellent written and oral communication skills along with attention to detail and accuracy
- Confidentiality and integrity is required
- Driven, team player, keen to learn new skills and flexible
- Excellent organizational/project management skills.
- Good writing skills with ability to prepare and present internal communication updates.
- Flexible working: Most of our team works remotely, and flexible working is encouraged. As long as you get things done, and can be in the office for two days per week (more initially -- whilst training), you can flex your time to suit you best.
- Salary: £25k-£30k per year depending on experience.
- 25 days annual leave.
- Team: You would join a small, dedicated and growing team.
- We're backed by Bethnal Green Ventures and Digital Science, through which we're part of a wider community of startups in science, health and ed-tech.
- Our London office is shared with several other Digital Science companies, so there's lots of interesting people to meet, and clubs and sports activities outside of work.
- You ca