Head of Software Engineering
Leading the Software Engineering Team to meet the design and development goals related to cost, schedule and performance. This relates to all development projects and support to business winning. The role includes maintaining and developing the competence of software engineering resources, processes and tools to meet the needs of the Line of Business.
- Reporting to the Head of Engineering based in the UK within the Electronic SystemsDivision.
- Provides a UK Focus for SoftwareEngineering.
- Supports the Governance and Control of software engineering activities including the assignment of software engineers to product development, contract delivery and support to customerproposals.
- Based in either Southampton or Basildon and with regular UK and occasional internationaltravel.
- Contributes to, and is governed by, the Strategic Plans of the Division with specific reference to the software engineering function.
Key Responsibility Areas
- Leadership of the Software Engineering function within the product based IPTs in the UK.
- Managing the associated financial aspects of a department of approximately 50 engineers and achieving target levels of recoveries from directbookings.
- Authority for the authorisation of robust Software Development Plans ensuring they are developed and resourced to meet the schedule, cost and performance requirements of the business and its various marketsectors.
- The allocation of software engineers to IPTs across the Division and the management of mismatches between workload andheadcount.
- Agreeing with SQA and Design Integrity an appropriate level of tailoring of functional processes for each product development commensurate with the levels of risk and cost set by the Line ofBusiness.
- Authority for the authorisation of software engineering costestimation.
- Responsible to the Head of Engineering for the software engineering performance of all delivery activities across the Division.
- Promoting software engineering capability within the organisation, identifying collaboration and reuse opportunity and sharing resources in order to maximise utilisation and ensure benefit to the wider company
- Ensuring the accurate reporting of agreed Metrics from IPTs to the Head ofEngineering.
- Leading and promoting a culture of continuous improvement towards industry best practise.